Spanish Tiles & Italian Countryside Design

 New Designs Available: Spanish and Italian Countryside Tiles

My newest online designs are available on the bottom of this page: 

https://shopvida.com/collections/zita-barbara?page=21

Recently, I've been inspired by colorful, hand-painted, Spanish tiles. The first time I was drawn to the color and patterns of Spanish tiles, I was in a church in San Francisco, California. This church was unusual because it had a display with a "gravesite" for Don Quixote. Painted on some of the tiles images  from the story. The windmills, Sancho Panza, and Dulcinea. Then, for decoration, colorful patterned tiles. I loved this "style" of decor. When I came to San Antonio, I saw these colorful tiles at "The McNay." Making clothing with the patterns was an idea I had recently when falling in love with them once again and realizing that the colors/patterns are perfect for statement pieces to wear outside. I took some time to develop Spanish tile clothing accessories. Some inspired by patterns I saw in San Francisco...some inspired by lemons and blue/while painted kitchen designs found on painted countryside decor. 



(Below) I called this design "Fluer-de-Lis Clover Hearts"


I loved the use of the "Fluer-de-Lis" in Spanish decor. It will make anything look regal and classy. To create a successful pattern for clothing, accessories, and kitchen decor, I decided to create a design that easily translates on many items at different lengths. When it came to creating this design, I was sure to keep many interesting shapes: The "Fluer-de-Lis" to create a heart...and a series of repeated hearts to create a four-leaf-clover. Wow...on top of that...it must remain consistent so that the pattern can be repeated and extended. I was sure to retain the "handprinted" look of blue paint on white pottery so that I could use this as the background for my "finale" design. 







"Lemoncello de Limonzita" 

The next design builds on the background of my "Cloverhearts" design above. A while back, I created an oil painting of lemons in my kitchen. I didn't think that I would one day make a design out of this. The two lemons I created for a kitchen painting seemed dull to me as a painter. It was a "still life" but because of the side by side positioning I tossed it aside as one of my "messed up" paintings. My mom liked it, kept it, displayed it in her kitchen for a long time where oil from cooking made its way to the canvas and created more texture for the painting. Over time I decided to like my own painting...and I even keep it in my kitchen next to spices. 

That's just how we painters roll. We don't like our own work...until much later. 

I added painted lemons to the top of my painted background using design software. Therefore, I listed this under a "multi-media" work. I called the design "Limoncello" at first...but then thought I loved the play of the word, "limonzita" which sounds like "little lemon" with the use of my name. The result was to use both words, "Limoncello de Limonzita." 




Find More Here:




Comments

Popular Posts