NO-SEW PUPPY TUTUS!

Why does this craft project remind me of Charlie Day's "kitten mittens?"

If you don't know what I am referring to:

You pretty much get the point...

 These tutu's require very little to make. Inexpensive tulle you can get at Wal-Mart. 

Seriously cheap...for around $2 you will get a whole spool of tulle. It is cheaper to order online. Here is your best bet (click the tulle and order.)

 
 


You will also need scissors (hopefully you will have those.)  

The last item is elastic band. This can be cheaply ordered online or found at a craft store. I bought a "pre-cut" 9 yard spool and it was around two dollars. It may be cheaper to get this at a fabric store and only get 2 yards.

The first step is to "eye-ball" measure the length of elastic band you will need for the skirt. Much like measuring a leash for your puppy, you need to make sure it is "tight enough" but not "too tight." 

Elastic is easy to work with because it will stretch out to where you need it to be on the puppy if you feel it is slightly off. 

Hint: it is better to be a little snug and let the band stretch than to fall off the puppy. 

Also, be aware that your puppy WILL want to "play" with you as you measure. It is better to use no scissors and just "mark" where you need to cut. Then cut the string away from the puppy.

   
This is a photo of the puppies playing tug-o-war.

Be aware, that mama WILL step in...to join in...



So you need to take control of the situation with your puppy. You might even cut a good "guesstimate" and then measure with a shorter string. 

Step 1:

Tie your measured band so that it is tight and hard to pull apart like so:


 Step 2:

Then, with the scissors cut nice 3-4 inch strips. There is no need to measure exactly, the different looking strips make better looking tutus.

Step 3:

With a good waist-band worked out and strips worked out you can now "knot" the strips around the band. Just like tying shoelaces without the step of the bow. Make sure both ends are sort of the same length after you knot the tulle onto the band like so:



Step 4:

Keep going until the entire skirt is filled out!



Now your puppy is ready for ballet!





 SO WHY? WHY MAKE A PUPPY TUTU? 

BECAUSE, YOU SHOULD WANT TO BE YOURSELF AND BE DIFFERENT! SO I MADE THIS DESIGN CELEBRATING THE URGE TO BE UNIQUE! 
 
GET THIS DESIGN HERE:
https://shopvida.com/products/puppy-degas-ballet



https://shopvida.com/products/be-different-puppy-degas-1



Comments

  1. Definitely not your average outfit for your puppies. A couple things-the puppies are too cute for words so I won't try describing their cuteness. Second, I'd love to see a YouTube video of someone measuring the puppies and the hilarity that ensues. I can only imagine what it'd be like trying to measure tutus for kittens. And speaking of kittens, any idea when we'll see a design for kitten mittens?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww. This is so cute! And simple to make too! I love it seriously. But my dog is a very restless one who can't sit still for me to measure him properly. Maybe I'll do that when he's napping or something! Hope I won't scare him into biting me lol! Thanks for the tutorial and that bag with the dog pictures is cool and I already imagine things to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. And I'm pretty sure my dog will love it. I agree that dogs are natural ballerinas, lol. And my own dog seems to take the whole thing unto another level. This would be good on him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah. I actually stumbled upon this post from the search engine. Lovely tutorial here. Is that customized bag for sale or something? I would love to have one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL.. How I always love to read posts about your dogs. I love how you treat them and I wish my dog can enjoy the same. Just that I'm always busy with work and have little time. But I'm sure going to make her a tutu to apologize for lost time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just like you, I like dressing up my furry friends! I have two puppies given to me by my cousin so me coming by this post is very timely. This is all the more fun as well since I get to make them myself instead of me purchasing in the store. Would love to read more outfit posts or anything related to your bestbuds, as we animal lovers can relate for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts