DEIGO REVERA (BONUS: "How to Make a Frida Costume for Your Dog")


"Oh...my art...it frustrates me. I will rip it up." 

(Caption the above photo of Diego chewing up his art.) 

I was able to knock out my Diego Rivera costume. A two year old's dress shirt with the sleeves cut to make sleeves better for puppies! Then I paired the puppy with a mini easel (one can find at Wal-mart!) Really? You ask me...yes.

Get it here along with a mini canvas (Clicking the photo takes you to Wally-World)





DIEGO RIVERA...THE MADMAN...THE ARTIST....

I named this puppy "Diego" after Diego Rivera. This is one of my influences as an artist. I brought up one influence in my upcoming interview with San Antonio Monthly Magazine....

...but there is more...




Diego Rivera is a Mexican Artist Known in San Antonio for his "flower vendor" or "calla lily" work (this is the work I frequently see inside Mexican restaurants and offices...it may be just my observation.)

This is a decorative home tile (a lot of photos will take you to where you can buy it. I'm trying not to use "copy-righted" images so posting items to buy is my solution!) 






Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC




So...my puppy "Diego" looks like "Diego Rivera."

This is a portrait of Diego painted by Frida (also a recommended read. Click and find link to book.)



At the time she was known as "Diego Rivera's wife" and now, due to women's empowerment movements she is one of the most famous women artist of all time...Frida Kahlo. Now, we can say "Diego Rivera is known as Frida Kahlo's husband."  

Diego the Puppy's "Frog Face." 




Who is "Diego Rivera?"

He is a popular Mexican Muralist (more popular in Mexico than in the U.S.)

If you mention his name in Mexico people will know who you are referring to. While, in the U.S. maybe only the art crowd knows? It may be that I am close-enough to Mexico to be able to enjoy a mixed culture of Texas.

Diego was born in Guanajuato Mexico in 1886. He was born a twin, but his brother died. His parents cultivated his artistic talent by enrolling him in art school at the age of 12.

There he learned classical painting techniques. 

Although, throughout his career as an artist he would "branch out" into popular movements of his time. 

Firstly, he was the driving force of the Mexican Mural Movement. 

As his mural work became more popular and he expanded into the cubist movement his art gained popularity in Europe and the U.S.

Although, he struck a sour note in the United States while painting in Lenin into a mural commissioned by the Rockefellers.   

You can learn more about this interesting artist and his influence on his wife "Frida." 

I recommend seeing the Selma Hayek version of this odd artistic union in the movie "Frida."  

NEXT : HOW FRIDA INFLUENCED MY WORK AND SEE HOW I MADE THE PUPPY COSTUME BELOW!









SEW THE RIBBON INTO THE FABRIC:




USE PIPE CLEANERS TO MAKE FAKE DOGGY HAIR



Comments

  1. Wow. I just love reading your posts about your dog's. I always see the passion and love and I admire that. Fi also love Diego the artist and naming your dog after him is so cute. I love your creativity too and I'm sure going to make my own Frida soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also admire Diego too and I named my cuddly cat after him. Hope I didn't go too far, lol. This complete attire is great and I love it. Would sure get a small one for my cat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Crazy but I still love it. And I like that it's super easy to make. Hehehehe. My dog wouldn't know what I Have coming up for him. Hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woah. Very interesting write-up about Diego and his wife. I was searching for this info and Google was kind enough to point me here. Thanks for this. Your Diego is so cute I just want to hold him and hug him for long. I love dogs but I'm terrible at handling them. Maybe I'll come over for some tops. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I love the instructions to the DIY with pics. I don't have a dog myself, but I could sure make one for all my friends' dogs. Your Diego is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super cute and resourceful! Haha. I am a huge fan of DIY stuff and those kind of posts that have clear instructions, super happy you were able to explain the stuff in detail so this would definitely be easy for newbies like me to follow. I love your ideas and would love to read and hear more on them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts