My First Children's Book Project

 


When I was five years old, in Kindergarten, I loved children's books. My teachers gathered the class to read a book out loud and some teachers made "cartoon voices" for different characters in the story. To be honest, this was the closest activity we had to a TV cartoon program at school. I liked that some of my teachers asked questions immediately afterwards. These questions caused the class to reflect on the relationships between the characters, asked us to find deeper meaning, and explore the "moral of the story." 

The questions that were asked immediately after would emphasize a couple important things:

1. Boost Reading Comprehension in an Entertaining Way

To me, asking follow-up questions and discussing what was just read, helped me tremendosuly as a reader. As an author and illustrator, I factored that into my story. Maybe my book will be in the hands of an entertaining teacher who makes good "voices" and asks questions at the end of the story to help guide children towards becoming better readers. In order to ensure a parent, a teacher, a student, or a reader is engaged, I highlight important questions at the back of the book.

2. Conducting a Non-Confrontational and Productive Classroom Discussion About Bullying

Every person that has ever been bullied and has refrained from "telling on a bully," does it out of fear. For the developing minds of children, dealing with a bully might feel similar to an adult dealing with "the mob." Not, that I would know anything about that besides watching "The Godfather." However, when watching movies we often hear threats like "tell the police and something worse will happen." Okay, so we can apply the same psychology to bullying. The bullied party is most likely already scared of what is going on and would hate to make matters worse. My own "solution" to bullying was writing this book, so that elementary school children get positive messages about "what to do when bullied" early. This is in order to put a stop to the fear of reporting bullies, as well as establishing healthy relationships with adults and teachers. I even thought to include an in-class discussion prompt for children to develop better solutions on their own. 

I Wrote This Book to Create a Modern Version of a Classic Book

Right now, many books from the past are being banned from schools. I personally don't think banning books is the right answer. The books that were created in the past, display the human consciousness created by the conditions of the past. The books created now, reflect how we have evolved in our reasoning as modern-day human beings also subjected to the trials and tribulation of modern life.

...and at some point...

Even my own book, reasoning, logic may become outdated. I would hope so. I would hope that my modernized revision of "The Ugly Duckling" creates changes in society. So much so because of this book bullying is no longer an issue. This book will no longer need to be used as a tool in classrooms.

...and...sometime in the year 3030...maybe...it will also be "banned" because humans decided books speaking about bullying are referring to a behavior of the past that we are ashamed of...

I would also hope, if that would be the case, that somewhere in the future would be a historian using old books to document to the evolution/progression of our cultural norms and collective thoughts.

For right now, as a writer, I choose to make modern adaptations of "the classics." This way they will not be forgotten by time. 

Why I Chose to Update "The Ugly Duckling?" 

Once upon a time, I was bullied for my voice. A girl in my school choir found it "easy" to pick on me. Especially when I let it happen. Before I knew it..."a girl" turned into a group. My "loud" voice, possibly the one carrying the alto section, was singled out. I was pulled aside to do "singing contests" that always ended the same way...

Whoever competed against me was automatically voted "a better voice."  I was told sooooo many comments about mine. The contest acted as a good excuse to let them say anything to "pull it apart" and make me insecure about singing. In fact, when it happened, my mind replayed the scene in Disney's "Cinderella" where the jealous stepsisters ripped apart the dress that the mice made for her. Pearls scattered everywhere...no hope to go to the ball...the "sinking feeling" that maybe I actually did sound horrible. For a couple minutes I was told the same things...

"It is too loud."
"It is too ugly."
"Why do want to sing when you can't?"

After the 8th grade...I shut down. I sang in church because no one at church had anything "bad" to say. No one would dare, I was at church after all. So, I felt "safe" to sing there and I sang solely because I liked doing it! I would never believe I could sing well after these girls "got to me." Once, I sang "Amazing Grace" as a solo in church. An old lady came up to me crying and telling me "you are an angel." I could not believe my voice was "that" good...

Thank you bullies...this kept me "humble" for sure! Although, unfortunately, it kept me from singing contests like "American Idol"...no thanks! I didn't need judges bringing up those memories! 

After being bullied, I also looked forward to my own "ugly duck to swan" transformation. This is the story I grew up with: if you were told you "are ugly" by all the others...well...it is your fault for not being socially acceptable enough to fit in. 

You are the one that needed to change, according to old "Ugly Duckling" story. You needed to "become the swan and channel the swan in you." If all else failed...well...there was "the makeover" made popular by the movie "Clueless." After that movie there was an abundance of "make-over" television shows, magazine editorials, paired with product ads that only furthered this reasoning. In fact, most would site "The Ugly Duckling" during makeovers. 

This "swan" reasoning sends people into an external search for self-acceptance. To me, that is most definitely a way to always feel uneasy about yourself. Reasoning this way can lead to many issues down the road. Can you imagine? Being "you" - the only possible person you can be - is at the core "not acceptable?"

I needed to change this story for the sake of all other bullied children. For me, the message that "there is something wrong with bullying and not YOU" is a much stronger message to help children at such tender ages (when their concept of themselves is not even formed yet). 


Hopefully, my story resonates. You will be able to get it here: 




Another Book by This Author: 





If you "like" this book you will also enjoy "Hands." 

In the book "Hands" I explain art in the most comprehensive and entertaining way: through the eyes of a beginner artist. In my adaptation of "Don Quixote" I let a person explore art, art history, and what it is like to be an artist through "Benny Fisher." This comedy includes a colorful cast of characters to introduce readers to the world of art "then and now." 

Buy a copy of "Hands" by searching "Z.B. Sanders Hands" on Amazon. 

Grab your copy today!




Comments

Popular Posts