Too Little, Too Late




NEW MUSIC:

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I need to "pace myself." Putting together SA Monthly is not an easy ordeal...and on top of that I do music...and have my own list of projects.

I submitted my music to "Merf Music Group" in Nashville, Tennessee...and I saw that this group has worked with Trisha Yearwood. Great, because I totally forgot to place my "contact info" in a demo I gave to Garth/Trisha with my music. 

Also...

After I heard Garth Brook explain what it was like to meet Trisha Yearwood...

My mind started a little phrase, "Too Little, Too Late..."

I understood, that's a tough spot to be in. Knowing you "felt something" and also knowing there is not one thing you are going to do about it. The worst part, is not exactly having a soul to admit anything of this to...

Music is a good place for that sort of dilemma. This song started one way and went another. At first, it was inspired by the Garth/Trisha story. Then, I added another line of drama "...and then you come back."

This is something I decided with my producer. It was coin toss. I could be loyal to the Garth/Trisha storyline...or I can add a line of added drama. We both agreed. The added drama worked. As I listened to relationship videos on Youtube...I knew it was the right line to use. Videos would "pop up" on my feed titled, "Why Do Men Always Come Back After You Let Go." 

I would listen to explanations, men don't like to see their woman (or women-depending on who you are dealing with) really leave them. Yes, so the relationship is over...but men think like, "it is not over-over. I can go back at any time and she will be right there...waiting."

Men get so bothered to witness the "dumped chick" move on legitimately...

So they come back. 

They just have to make sure it is for real? 

According to other men on Youtube it is an "ego" thing. So, where it gets miserably confusing is when a person indeed was "holding out" for the other. When that person did everything and anything they could within their power to "move on" from that muddy situation...and just as it looks like they have come to a good place...

Just as they have picked up all the pieces...

Guess who is back?

 Oh...it...is...hard to see that person again...

So, where is the song? Where is this new song? It is not "officially released." In college I was a marketing major...and I also had a music scholarship that I pursued for as long as I could pull off a ridiculous 24 credit hour schedule. The point is, I never release a song officially without a "fuss" and conducting my own focus groups...until I release it. 

So you want to know the lyrics to this new song? Here they are:

Verse 1: 

I knew the second that you left and I said nothing...
You'd be "the one the gotta away" and I'd be...
Standing here still...

Verse 2:

Trying to find the words to say
and trying to hold on to something...
Knowing the silence is all we have
because I never will...

***Author Notes: Now these lines can apply to a number of love situations. At this point of the song, this sounds a lot like unrequited love. Maybe in your mind is a person you've always wanted to approach and never did. You regret letting them "slip past you" and carry some "what if" you did something different at that critical moment when you "had a chance." 

I did this on purpose. There are a ton of people out there with "the one that got away" stories. There are also a lot of people with "what if I spoke up" situations...

So, in the ambiguity I capture your imagination. What am I talking about? ****

Pre-Chorus and Chorus: 

See, I don't wanna say yes...
And I don't want to say no...
I don't want to let you in...
'Cause I don't wanna let you go...

So now, I "hint" at some kind of proposition....you know, "I'm back and what do you want to do about it." If this set of lines comes across as confusing...it is. That type of situation is confusing. I slowly build the "drama" and paint a picture. I kind of hint at what it is coming...

Too little, too late baby...
It's a little too long now...
I just couldn't wait...maybe...
I had to move on...

But then you come back
Tell me why would you do that?
Knowing it is hard to let go...
and it is hard to hold on?

Alright, so here we go. It is just too late. There is nothing that can be done about all of this after-the-fact of needing to move on from this to deal with life. 

This song "morphed." It describes something a little different from the Garth/Trisha's dynamic. I still came up with the melody behind it after meeting them and hearing "that" love story. Not everyone knows the unique pain involved with admitting to yourself...and possibly two other people...or more. Right? People have family members...friends...

Okay, maybe...you "made a mistake" and now...feel like "what if I am with the wrong person?" This person whose love is in "question" may feel completely torn over what to do. Maybe, it was just easier to do nothing, say nothing...let it die and keep it to themselves? I think, my opinion, is that is what Garth did when watching Trisha leave the room after acknowledging there was "something there." Honestly, I don't know. Something about the story, about that dynamic, gave me that mental picture of a man looking on at that person leave the room in anguish, silence, and everything I express in that first verse of this song.

That is tough. 

If you have never had that happen to you...well...it is painful on so many levels. It is easy to judge. It is easy to tell someone "you are not supposed to have feelings for anyone else." I can bet, even the person wages war with themselves over the situation. The problem is...you can't "deny" your feelings. They aren't coming from the same place as your thoughts. 

That's why my bridge states:

I don't want to love you
But I do
I don't want to feel this way
For you
Knowing I should let go...just let go...
But I can't let go...
How do I let go????

People are only human...and why is everyone expected to "have it all figured out" in their 20s?

So what is the right answer in this sort of mess of emotions? 

My chorus:

"I don't want to say yes...and I don't want to say no...I don't want to let you in, because I don't want to let you go..." 

The answer...is....there is no answer. Just like it most likely how in Garth's case just a "quiet and kept-to-themselves" anguish, "too little, too late...it's been a little too long now...and I just couldn't wait...so I had to move on..."

But...in another, more dramatic case, for the purposes of a tear-jerking situation:

...and then you come baaaaaaack. Tell me why would you do that? When you know it is hard to hold on...and it is hard to let go. 

Oh, the tragedy. 

The pain.

The usual story of bad timing. 

Speaking of stories....if you enjoy my songwriting, you will also enjoy my writing. Right now, available on Amazon are two books. My first children's book, "The Little Blue Worm" and my version of Don Quixote, "Hands." All sales go towards helping me continue as a creative person! 














Comments

Popular Posts