BIGA ON THE BANKS RESTAURANT REVIEW


This is my "review" of BIGA.

This restaurant is located right in the middle of downtown San Antonio. It is a "fine dining" experience where sometimes the chef comes out to greet new customers and the staff claims to have worked there for 9+ years. Although, I tend to go to BIGA every once and a while...and they always say this...and I have yet to have the exact same waiter...but there could be a bigger staff than I expected.

This is the entrance. Those who know downtown San Antonio would find the Riverwalk right below and one can even request outdoor seating to have a little view.


The first thing you see coming in is a hostess stand and this (ABOVE PHOTO) large selection of wines promising a wonderful romantic dinner is in store.


This is what you are met with as you pass the wines, bar, and enter the restaurant. I am not sure if the booth is a waiting area. I have yet to see a group of people waiting. Normally, a group or couple is seated right away.

This is the lighting you can expect. It is warmer, low-light, suited to make a dress sparkle. I do recommend that women on a date wear something with glimmer. Men can wear business-casual.

This is an "intimate atmosphere." There is seating behind the curtain that provides even more privacy. I have sat there before and can say that I might have made reservations for the "behind-the-curtain" experience. 



Otherwise, there are other tables smartly arranged one the side and a larger table behind the bar for bigger groups or celebrations. (ABOVE PHOTO) You can see the table arrangement. The upholstery is also a nice reddish-black sheen fabric. I don't know why exactly I chose to mention the fabric selections, I do suspect that would be a very elaborate date to "match" an outfit to the location's decor...

Speaking of the decor...

The "gourd" artwork is made for BIGA by a local artist. The explanation I received is that the decor needed to feel organic and fresh (as that is what the food is like) and they provide a sectional one can still see through.

(BELOW PHOTO) This is a photo of the appetizers:

One is the salmon nachos (left)

The other is the Foie Gras (Right)

The bread basket is rustic-country (this restaurant serves a modern take of Texas cuisine. Expect seafood and game options such as quail/venison.)

What I like about this for a first date is there are no awkward food situations. There is very little to eat. One can thoroughly enjoy the favor combinations and talk.


ENTREES:

This is my actual plate. I ordered the 8oz tenderlion medium-rare.

On the side three potatoes perfectly cooked.

 Then an arugula mash. 

I was a fan of the favors together. Arugula is a very strong flavor, so I ate less of it.

This was a good filling (but not stuffed) dinner. That left room for dessert! 


I believe each chef has "their signature dishes." The toffee bread pudding is the signature dessert. It is served warm, swimming in drizzled creamy sauce. Although it tastes deceptively chocolaty, there is no chocolate used. This is made with a combination of brown sugar, spices, and I believe molasses? You will have to ask when you go for a visit!


This is my own "review."

COMPLETE WITH MY OWN PHOTOS. I DO THIS SO PEOPLE "LOOKING" FOR SOMEWHERE TO EAT KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO EXPECT. THIS IS A "FINE DINING" 5-STAR TYPE EATING EXPERIENCE RECOMMENDED SETTING FOR A SERIOUS DATE.   


Comments

  1. Awesome! I was here a month back with my husband and loved the food there just as you did! The Riverwalk is really beautiful with so many restaurants to choose from, but this was unique! Loved your pics.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment